If there’s one uniquely Filipino dish that sticks in the hearts and minds of many Filipinos, one of them’s most likely Chicken Soup, or as we like to call it: TINOLA.
Now, living with a vegetarian girlfriend, I’ve always wanted to cook authentic-ish Filipino food, minus the poor animals shamelessly slaughtered for the sake of a good dish. Why slaughter and kill them when you can make something just as good without them, right?
So yes, anyway, here’s my version of Tinola.
- 200g block of firm tofu, cut into bitesized cubes
- 1L water
- Multiple herbs and spices, for flavour.
- Salt, pepper, and soy sauce, for extra taste.
- Malunggay leaves
- Half a garlic
- 1 onion
How to cook:
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add in tofu cubes. Saute until tofu gets a bit crispy.
- Add water, herbs, and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Add salt, pepper, and soy sauce, and season to taste.